Respect & Recipe for Pecan Rum Cake

Thursday, April 26, 2012

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Find out what it means to me! lol That is what first comes into mind when I think of that word, but in all seriousness, this is a serious topic. 

This morning as I was reading my daily devotion, I was very inspired to tell this story. My devotion reading was Esther 1:1 which talks about Queen Vashti being disposed by King Xerxes because the king was hosting a great celebration and in addition to displaying his wealth and power, he also wanted to showcase his wife's beauty. The king commanded that the Queen be brought before him and his guests. She refused. If Queen Vashti had obeyed, she would have allowed the king to degrade and disrespect her. Since she refused she risked losing her life. Vashti didn't want to compromise her character by being reduced to a piece of property. Her desire for respect led to her banishment. There is no record that Queen Vashti feared the Lord, but her courage shows that she understood the God-given dignity accorded to EVERY human being.

God created us in His image and crowned us with glory and honor, having made us "a little lower than the angels" (Psalm 8:5). Out of love and reverence for him, let us treat ourselves and others with honor, dignity, and respect. Even the most difficult people we know bear the image of God.

This brings to mind all the ladies who are in relationships where they are being disrespected. You do NOT deserve that! You deserve to be treated like a Queen! My prayer for anyone who is going through a situation similar to that is that you gain the courage that Queen Vashti had and that you take yourself out of that situation with God's help. God created a perfect man for you and if he isn't treating you with honor and respect... well, then you haven't found him yet. Actually, that statement makes it sound as if you should be looking for a man, which I completely don't agree with! God will SEND him to you. In the meantime, focus on your relationship with God. God's timing is perfect.

This subject is pretty dear to my heart because I was in a relationship for FIVE years where I was disrespected frequently. I completely understand it can make you feel that you are not good enough and that you are constantly doing everything wrong among a variety of other negative feelings. Don't buy into that. It is NOT you. Someone who truly loves you with God's love will NEVER treat you that way. By no means am I saying that anyone is perfect. Everyone has their issues. It took me 5 years to get out of that relationship. I pray that it doesn't take anyone else that long. I am still very thankful for that experience because it transformed me into a strong woman who will never allow ANYONE to ever treat me that way again. Plus, it brought me to the man God put on earth just for me, Jason. I also pray that EVERYONE finds their Jason. :) When you find THE ONE, never stop loving them, and never let 1 day go by that you don't express your love for them because we never know how many more days we have on this earth. This is only our temporary home as Carrie Underwood would say.

If anyone ever needs to talk, even if we aren't very good friends, I will always be here to listen. :)


Ok... now for that RECIPE!

PECAN RUM CAKE


1 cup PLANTERS Pecan Halves, coarsely chopped 
1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix 
4 eggs 
1 cup Sour Cream 
3/4 cup dark rum, divided
1/2 cup oil 
1/2 cup sugar 
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Sprinkle pecans evenly onto bottom of well-greased fluted tube pan. Place cake mix, eggs, sour cream, 1/2 cup of the rum and oil in large bowl; beat with electric mixer on medium speed 2 min. or until well blended. Pour into prepared pan.
BAKE 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean; cool cake 10 min. in pan on wire rack. Remove cake from pan; cool completely.
PLACE sugar, butter and 2 Tbsp. water in small saucepan; bring to boil on medium heat, stirring frequently. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup rum, stirring until well blended. Drizzle over cake slices.


Well... I love you guys! XOXO Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment